Sunday, July 13, 2008

Veggie roof

So I was going to write about something else this evening, but my friend Fernando asked me if I'd heard about the High Museum's new green roof on the France Bunzl Center...which I hadn't...but now I have! I just researched it and it sounds great. The link below has the info, but basically it says the 6,680-square-foot vegetated green roof will "help clean and reduce storm-water runoff, reduce the urban-heat-island effect, reduce energy consumption, extend the roof life and improve air quality. This particular green roof also has the ability to retain about 62,000 gallons of storm water per year."

http://www.high.org/main.taf?erube_fh=erblog&erblog.submit.PostDetail=true&erblog.blogid=31&erblog.BlogPostID=732


It sounds a lot like the roof of the recently renovated Sweetwater Creek visitor center...the center achieved platinum LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. In addition to its green roof, which I believe not only helps with conserving water, but also energy consumption, it boasts a composting toilet system, greywater irrigation and photovoltaic roo conserves resources by eliminating wastewater, reusing rainwater on-site and reducing storm-water runoff. In addition, the visitors’ center employs a photovoltaic solar panels.

Very cool stuff! Thanks Fernando!

2 comments:

Ben @ Elite said...

That's good to know, Cindy. I think Woodwrad Academy has a similar system on a building built there a couple of years ago. Brings new meaning to roof top garden. Thanks for the info!

Cindy said...

Interesting! It's great that schools are getting involved and teaching kids to be responsible for the earth.